Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Day The Earth Stood Still

He touched my hand as I gazed outward to the ocean:
I wondered how birds flew so gallantly
over angry waves, and dove in without casualty.
Why does this place seem so empty
yet filled.

Then he held them to his lips,
gently brushing them over.
This is it! This is the part -
he'll ask for something with his eyes
I will keep my eyes out on the ocean's tide
breathe in the salty mist
whilst I swing my feet -
and he'll ask me to repeat
letters of the alpha-
bet formulated in words
I've already told him.

As religious as he has done
my lips would be the next victim
and I'll wonder:
How can he love me,
she who loves nothing of him
other than company?
And he, who lives for nothing
but the smile on her face,
who chooses the ocean as his road,
mohagony as his vehicle,
and sailing as his hobby,
is never here
where blood haste
as receptors succumb,
wastes his time?

This day, however, is different
He will ask of me to follow him
he would not beg, and he will not leave.
Our eyes will meet, the ocean no longerbeneath,
will break the standoff.

I will notice him
in every sense
and whatever the man he has become.
He will charm me within each nanosecond
with words so qucikly exchanged
between us that time shant intterupt

We will dance happily in misery
tears, joy, and every pain to come
I will ache with excitement
and die in sadness,
he will rise applauding my very innocence.

I guess he knew somehow
we were destined,
and all this while I will wonder:
what is it like to swim in misery
and if such a thing existed, how?
And how does one not know love
when he's touching you?
Mad, they must be.
Yes! Mad indeed!
Because my earth stood
still.

No comments:

Post a Comment